Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Welcome to the Bosque

I have finally arrived at my home for this winter -
My office
Some of my neighbors
Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in San Antonio, New Mexico.  The weather is nice for early fall: low 80s in the afternoon and cool evenings in the 50s.  My walk to work from the volunteer camp takes about 2 minutes and is interrupted only by the bugling elk herd in the field to the north.  I work three days a week in the visitor center or out roving the refuge.  On my first day I saw 5 female mule deer, a flock of long billed dowitchers, a few white pelicans, and a six foot rattlesnake sunning himself in the road.  In the afternoon I return home to Seeker to check email and listen to what sounds like a large croaking frog.  Instead I find that a local Chihuahuan Raven has taken a post on top of the utility pole behind my parking spot.  I have
accepted the fact that he was here first and named him Edgar.  I hope he eats the mosquitoes that are still around and large enough to saddle.  Right now with the cool nights I love to sleep with my window open and even gotten used to the serenade of a local night owl.  I love everything about my new home except the government shut down that has idled us all.





The rangers have asked us to just hang out and wait for the reopening so I guess I'll do some exploring.  Sadly the refuge that I would like to explore is off limits to us all right now.  But I'm sure I'll find something to do. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment