Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Way Down Upon The Suwanee River

Yep, I'm here in Stephen Foster country and I couldn't be happier.  The campground is small but big on friendliness.  There are 3 other workampers and they are great to work with.  And did I mention the hours?  I worked more hours in 2 days at Amazon than I do all week here.  And Gus is loving it too.  Lots of time for me to walk him and I can walk home to him in 5 minutes or less. 

And then there's the swamp.  Yep, just across the highway is the Okefenokee National Refuge.  This morning I took a boat tour of the swamp with the rest of the workers here.  AWESOME!!  Good thing I decided to start a birding journal.  Ibis, Great Blue Heron, Sandhill Cranes, and even a great barred owl.  Oh, and then there were a few gators here and there.  Actually, it was a bit cool this morning so we didn't really see any gators until later and then only laying in the warm mud.  Overall a great introduction to the swamp.  We'll be going back to kayak the swamp sometime after the new year.  Can't wait.

Oh yeah, I think it's going to be a great winter down here on the Suwanee.  Come on down!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment