Friday, August 3, 2012

Seven and Half State Parks - in 4 Days

It's been a busy week but eventful.  My last post I talked about needing to go somewhere.  Well, I went somewhere alright.  After a long hike last Sunday morning with a group of campers here at the park, Gus and I cleaned up, packed up, and drove across Atlanta to big brother Mike's house.  Of course Linda had one of my favorite foods waiting for me: homemade pimento cheese!  She's the best.

On Monday the three of us loaded up and drove to Richard Russell State Park where Mike and I walked the frisbee golf course to find a geocache I needed.  Well, not the whole course but up to hole 13 of 18.  After that we found a marker about the lost Confederate gold.  Very interesting stuff.  Tuesday morning we headed north on I85 to visit some parks and a museum in the easternmost corner of Georgia.  Tugaloo State Park was nice although Mike, the fisherman, was distressed to see the low water levels on the lake.  I enjoyed hiking the nature trail and finding another geocache.  Next we visited Tallulah Gorge where I completed my second canyon challenge.  Oh, my aching knees!  After lunch we drove to the top of Black Rock Mountain where I took the long way around the 2 mile loop trail but did find a geocache at 3,640 feet.  By that time it was nearly 4pm and I was soaking wet with sweat.  Glad Mike drove us home and even gladder to find that hot shower waiting for me. 

Wednesday morning I took off on my own to finish my tour of easternmost parks: Moccasin Creek, Unicoi, and Smithgall Woods.  Another full day of hiking trails although they were much easier than the ones the day before.  Wound up driving home through a hard rainstorm.  Believe me, I was quite happy to get back to the house where I indulged in another hot shower, another one of Linda's delicious hot meals, and chilling out in front of the tv with Mike. 

Thursday morning I tried to sleep late but Gus wanted to talk an early walk, so I decided to go ahead and pack up to head back to camp.  I enjoyed a brief visit with Mike's oldest and his wife who just learned they are expecting a girl in December.  Everyone is very excited about that upcoming event.  I didn't get to visit with Mike's youngest, and I was really looking forward to seeing all the changes he's been doing to his house.  Maybe next visit.

Gus and I got on the road after lunch and made a brief stop at Panola Mountain State Park.  I thought it would be an easy hike for Gus to do with me since the trail was an old golf cart path.  Unfortunately the trail was nearly a mile long and after about 200 yards Gus just layed down.  We headed back to the car and came on home to Seeker.  Was glad to see that all was just as we left it. 

So I'm over the cabin fever now.  Only 4 and half weeks till I leave here.  The weather is getting better for campers so I expect to be busier soon.  Two campers have already pulled in today!  Time to check the campsites!

No comments:

Post a Comment