Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My Farewell Tour of Kentucky

It's hard to believe that my time in Kentucky is coming to an end.  Next week I will pull in my slide, box up my gear adrift (that's Navy talk for anything that can become a flying object while underway) and hitch up my car to make the drive south.  I have seen so much and yet there is so much more to see.  One thing I really have noticed is that like Tennessee, Kentucky is long and somewhat narrow and seems to have 3 distinct geographical sections: the flat western river land, the rolling horse and dairy farms of the central state, and the mountainous coal regions of the east.  I spent most of the Thanksgiving weekend driving through parts of the middle and eastern counties.  I especially loved driving through the small towns after dark with all their Christmas lights.  Having lived in a big city for too long I miss how the little towns still decorate. 

I especially enjoyed stopping and visiting several of the veterans memorials along the way.  In three different towns I have seen WWI doughboy statues on town squares complete with barbed wire at the soldier's feet.  And in tiny Morgan County I found a monument to women veterans.  That was a nice surprise. 

I'm sorry to say that I didn't stop and get a picture of the various cow statues decorated for Christmas.  Perhaps I will get a chance to see another one before I leave and will add it here.  Mostly I just admired the scenery and of course, looked for geocaches.  I drove just about 1,000 miles in 4 days, visited 23 counties and found over 100 caches.  I have completed about two thirds of the requirements for the Kentucky County and Delorme Challenges.  Alas, I won't be able to finish up before I leave here next week, but if my schedule allows me to, I will return to the area in May for Geowoodstock and find the time to finish up and complete those challenges.  But for now, I'm Georgia bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment