Wednesday, March 16, 2011

You ain't nothin' but a coon dog, Srygley!

Yesterday was another day of learning and adventure for the Seeker crew.  We spent Monday night at a Good Sam park in Tuscumbia which was very nice, clean, and safe.  The owner was very helpful and even gave us directions to the world's only Coon Dog Cemetery.  Of course we had to go because, I mean, how often does one get to see the world's only anything?  We drove down 72 to 247 and then turned on Coon Dog Cemetery Road (what else?).  We were actually in part of the Freedom Hills Wildlife Preserve and it was the first time I had taken Seeker down a narrow, winding, up hill and down hill country road.  But our landlord for the night had assured us that our rv would make the journey.  And he was right.  Just as we rounded one more curve there was the sign and a gravel drive complete with large turnaround at the end.  We strolled along the stones for Old Blu, Dan's Best, and of course the one that started it all, Troop.  I'm not sure if there's a website but I do know that you can find more info on wikipedia.  Oh yeah, Gus and I followed a trail through the woods and signed a geocache there too! 

As we drove back out to the main highway to return to the Trace we just had to stop at the Srygley Church of Christ.  You see, my brother-in-law's middle name is Srygley and we had never seen that name anywhere else.  Of course we sent a picture to his phone asking if he was moonlighting.  We are so mean!

Next stop Tupelo and the birthplace of Elvis Presley.  Quite a humble beginning for ol' swivel hips.  Now my Elvis circle is complete since I can say I've seen where he was born, where he lived, and even the studios in Memphis and Nashville where he recorded.  I even spent a weekend at Heartbreak Hotel.  The man was amazing. 

Also amazing was that I started feeling sick after we left EP's so we made a quick stop at the nearby Wally World then set up for the night at Tombigbee State Park.  Once again we went through a learning curve about hooking up to the electric.  Another lesson learned.  And after a good night's sleep and morning walk with Gus, I feel like traveling again.  It's on to Jackson, MS today.  Wonder what wonders we will find along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment